Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Humpty Dance to Chemo


Nothing like starting a Wednesday off with a little Humpty!  Well Cycle one we are now offically on the downhill slide.  Had are pretty good evening last night ate well.....That has never been a problem for me....was introduced to a new side effect last night Hiccups.  I am not talking regular hiccups these things sound like Captain Caveman!  It is rather embarrassing so I hope I can get it under control before I am out in public and people start taking cover.  Had a piece of Red Velvet Cake that was brought over from Lyndsay Wade-Swift!  She is an amazing cook!

Slept well and headed to Indy at 6 A.M. this morning!  The nauseousness seems to be the worse in the morning but nothing a little pill can help me get through.  I was wondering if the doctor was hinting at my mental capacity or my profession when he gave me an anxiety pill called ATIVAN for the sickness.  He said that in a clinic study it was proven to be the most effective.  So far so good.  I slept from Seymour to Inday!

I am getting to be on a first name basis with everyone in the infusion room.  I know I know you are surprised right.  Well they got me in right away and I head to the scales.  This is done every time before we start.  Each time I beg them to let me take my shoes off before I weigh but they won't let me :( I am hoping the cookies and doughnuts will eventually make this happen.   Fortunately the weight is in kilos  so it looks alot better....I always tell them not to worry about converting.    I got a corner cubicle today so I had a lot more privacy.  It's like my own little world with a TV and a recliner.  It is also closest to the restroom which is a huge plus!  Fought sickness all day but never actually threw up.  The dreaded hiccups came back after about two hours.  I thought they were going to be the death of me.  Begin watching the series Breaking Bad on Netflix and have a new passion.   I got through five episodes in my chair    Today seemed to move along fairly well.   Just wish I could get the sickness to subside.  Small Victories are all we wish for at this point.  One day at a time!  Thanks to all who continue to  follow this story. 

   
Until tomorrow!  BT 

5 comments:

  1. Breaking Bad is AWESOME! You will really enjoy the story, BUT you must watch it in order--no skipping and I certainly hope you started at the first season. What I truly love about the series is that after five seasons (no spoiler here) Jesse still calls Walt "Mr. White". Once the teacher, always the teacher! Another good series if you haven't already seen it is "The Wire". That one, however, must be watched with headphones if others are around--it is violent and the street language is profuse--but the best TV series I have ever watched. Am sure you will get lots of suggestions to occupy your time! Best of luck with the hiccups--the human body is truly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ativan!!! Yay! It will get you through so much - chemo, middle school classes, etc! So glad you have such excellent care.
    Here's my Ativan story - when I first came to Salem, I couldn't sleep well. (can't imagine why!) I was told to go see Dr Martin, and , after a thorough exam, he pronounced me healthy and have me a prescription for the A-Bomb. I took one after a home game on Friday and didn't wake up till Monday morning at 6!!!
    Needless to say, I went back to hot milk and soothing music and tossed the Ativan!
    Thought that might bring you a smile, Blair. Hang in there and let us know if there's anything we can do to help - song requests, etc...;-)
    Always,
    Your Favorite Band Director
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blair,

    My thoughts and prayers are with you man. Be Lion Strong!!!!!


    Theddy Butch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Blair,

    I just read on Facebook you have a blog..Im really happy your doing this not only for your friends but for the TEAM...it means alot to open up and make sure everyone knows your a fighter..I really hope your hiccups stop..HATE THEM!! So keep it up and thanks for being LION STRONG!!

    Phil Stahl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there and keep those positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete